by Dr Robin Kent – Tangram Technology Ltd.
Turn every job into a project – add value to the job and you!
1. Make a project now!
- What are you doing now?
- If it has time boundaries and measurable end products then it is a project!
- What is a good result?
- What is a bad result?
- What is a result that will get you noticed?
Define the results that you want. NOW!
2. Projects are about milestones and progress and testing
- What do you expect to complete in the next 5 days?
- What do you expect to complete in the next 10 days?
- When is the project going to be finished?
- Can it be done better and quicker?
Define the milestones and timescales. NOW!
3. Projects are about customers (internal and external)
- Who are your customers?
- When and how did you find out what they wanted?
- When did you last talk to them?
- When did you last tell them how you were progressing?
Talk to your customers. NOW!
4. Make a “Current Projects List”
- Your “Current Projects List” is your life and your job.
- Projects = Definite Things Done = Value Added = Recognition = Your Successes.
- Put your Current Projects List on display everywhere!
- Review and score your projects in terms of Definite Things Done, Value Added, Recognition and Success.
Make a “Current Projects List”. NOW!
5. Make your “Current Projects List” a Marketing, Research and Development Tool and transformation tool for you and the company. Add Value with Projects.
- Look for opportunities to transform the way you work.
- Look for opportunities to solve problems.
- Use the Tools of Problem Solving.
- Write down how your work (your Past Projects List) improved and added value to the business.
HINT: If you can’t write anything then start to worry and get to work on your current projects straight away.
HINT: If your job is still the same as last year then how much transformation have you created?
Write down how your “Current Projects List” will transform and add value to the business (and you). NOW!
6. Projects are about being professional
- Was your last project the best you could do?
- Was it professional?
- Would you pay me to do it to this standard?
HINT: If the answer is “no” then start to worry and get better soon.
Write down what are you going to do to get better. NOW!
7. Projects are about delivering results
- Did you deliver the goods?
- Were your customers delighted? If not, then why not?
- What were the definite things done?
- What went wrong? Score the project out of 100.
- What are you going to do to be better next time?
Don’t wait. Do it NOW!
8. Projects are about priorities
- Which projects are urgent?
- Which projects are important?
- Which project adds the most value?
Prioritise your “Current Projects List”. NOW!
© Tangram Technology Ltd. 1998